Oh my, it’s the 4th of July already???? Time to make Watermelon Salad with Feta & Blueberries. It’s the perfect thing to cool off in the dog days of summer. The last thing I want to do is turn on the oven in this heat and humidity.
This week Sunday Supper is featuring Easy to Make Patriotic July 4th Recipes – our go to recipes to feed a crowd that are simple enough to allow us to visit during the celebrations. Here’s to Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for interrupting her holiday and hosting this event!
I love our tradition to celebrate the 4th of July. It is one of my favorites. Surprisingly enough, we don’t gather at home – this is the one holiday we travel. A few years ago we took the boat across the bay to Tilghman Island to met our daughter and son in law for the weekend. We had so much fun it was decided this was a tradition. The group has grown and this year there are seven of us going on the excursion. We come prepared with our fireworks that the guys will set off (I know – so mature) and with foods that will cool us off.
Amongst all the activity we are outside and it’s hot and humid so I focus on foods that are refreshing and offer hydration. I set out this Watermelon Salad with Feta and Blueberries, Skinny Grapefruit Crushes (a blend of grapefruit juice, club soda with a touch of vodka and triple sec that is very popular on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay), a veggie platter and easy finger foods that keep us fueled until we hit the next stop.
Tilghman Island is a small fishing community that is like going back fifty years in time. We have our routine trip to Lowes Warf for a day in the water, a cruise around the island and visiting our favorite local establishments and having a lot of laughs.
This is a weekend everyone looks forward to all year long. It’s one of our most relaxed gatherings giving us time to focus on the important stuff – each other. What more can you ask for?
- 2 Pounds of Seedless Watermelon, cut into small chunks 2 Tablespoons of Finely Chopped Mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups of Blueberries
- Juice of one Lime
- Arrange the watermelon chunks in a bowl, mix with the mint leaves and lime juice, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the feta and then top with the Blueberries. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
For easy to make Patriotic July 4th Recipes check out the Sunday Supper Contributors:
- Honey Berry Blue Cheese Ball by Magnolia Days
- How to make Chicken Yakitori in Skewers for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
America the Beautiful Beverages
Raise the Flag Breakfasts
- Breakfast Cake Stars with Strawberry Syrup by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Red, White, and Blue Berrylicious Smoothie Bowl by The Hungry Goddess
For the Red, White and Blue Salads and Main Dishes
- Bang Bang Pork Chops by Wholistic Woman
- Blueberry and Watermelon Arugula Salad by A Mind Full Mom
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce for Red, White and Blue Chicken Skewers by Caroline’s Cooking
- Firecracker Hot Dogs by Sunday Supper Movement
- Founder’s Mac and Cheese by Cooking Chat
- Pumped Up Potato Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Red Hot Chicken and Blue Cheese Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red White & Blue Caprese Salad by Go Epicurista
- Red White and Blue Fruit Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red, White, and Blue Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon Salad with Feta & Blueberries by Monica’s Table
- Yankee Doodle Noodle Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Oh Say Can You See Desserts
- All-American Patriotic Dessert Tarts by Family Around The Table
- Berry Cheesecake Flag Dessert by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Vanilla Poke Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Easy (No Bake!) Two Bite Berry Pies by Cooking With Carlee
- Firecracker Muddy Buddies by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Flag Fruit Pizza by Dash of Evans
- Homemade Snow Cones by Palatable Pastime
- Patriotic M&M Cookie Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Patriotic Smoothie Pops by Crazed Mom
- Red, White, and Blue Berry Pound Cake Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Red, White and Blue Fruit Kabob Flag by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Red, White, and Blue Fruit Tart by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Granita by Dessert Geek
- Red, White, and Blue M&M Cookies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Red White and Blue Parfaits by Desserts Required
- Red, White and Blue Popsicles by Our Good Life
- Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispie Treats by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red, White and Blue Shooting Stars by The Freshman Cook
- Red White and Blue Strawberries with Chantilly Cream by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Rice Krispies Treat Birthday Cake by Pies and Plots
- Rosemary Cookies with Tomato Jam by The Finer Cookie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.