About this time of year I start to crave the flavors of fall. This Sweet Potato and Kale Salad with Udon Noodles has it all: a tangle of gorgeous orange and white noodles, the deep green kale, the tart creamy goat cheese all tied together with an earthy mushroom dressing.As we head into Fall and Winter the evenings are getting cooler but there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy a picnic. This salad is perfect for a potluck, picnic or just because. Make the salad (hold the cheese until serving) and set aside at room temperature for a few hours, toss with the creamy goat cheese and you are ready to go. Any leftover are wonderful straight from the fridge the next day!Not only is this salad gorgeous – it’s good for you!
CLICK HERE for the 6 Proven Benefits of Eating Kale
- 2 Tablespoons of Rice Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon of Toasted Sesame Oil
- ½ teaspoon of Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon of Mushroom Flavor Soup Base (from the Udon Noodles)
- 5-6 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1 Package of Udon Mushroom Flavored Noodles
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, Peeled
- 1 Small Bunch of Tuscan Kale (6-9 leaves)
- ¾ Cup of Goat Cheese Crumbles
- ¼ Cup of sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup of Pumpkin seeds
- Make the dressing: In a measuring cup or small bowl add the vinegar and toasted sesame oil then whisk in the ginger and mushroom base packet. Slowly whisk in the vegetable oil until emulsified. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a jar with a lid. Screw the lid on tightly and shake until the mushroom base is dissolved. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt (if needed the mushroom base is pretty salty) or additional ginger or mushroom base to taste. Set aside.
- Place the noodles in a bowl, pour 2 cups of boiling water over them and let the bowl sit for 2 few minutes. Drain the noodles in a strainer and pat dry with paper towels to remove as much water as possible. Transfer the noodle to a bowl and toss with 4 Tablespoons of the dressing and set aside.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into thirds (three pieces). Using a spiralizer with the large noodle attachment, attach one piece of the sweet potato and cut the sweet potato into noodles. Repeat with the other two pieces of potato. If the noodles are too long clip them into the desired lengths with kitchen shears. Transfer the sweet potato “noodles” to the bowl with the udon noodles and toss, adding another spoonful or two of the dressing to coat the noodles.
- Wash and dry the kale leaves, removing as much moisture as possible. Cut the kale leaves horizontally into thin strips and add to the noodles in the bowl. Toss the contents of the bowl together adding more dressing if the contents of the bowl seem dry. Set the salad aside to marinate in the dressing for at least 30 minutes or up to and hour.
- To serve the salad: Toss the salad in the bowl, divide the salad between 6 or 8 shallow bowls, drizzle with 2 teaspoons of remaining dressing and sprinkle the salad with 1 Tablespoon of the sunflower seeds, 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin seeds and 2 tablespoons of goat cheese and serve.