I’m so excited about spring! I’m prepping my garden and dreaming about all of the amazing things that I will be planting and eating come summer, like this Tomato and Bread Soup.
I’m really not a fan of tomatoes unless they are fresh from the garden. This soup is one of the highlights of summer. It’s my version of comfort food. Hot broth ladled over tomatoes, cheese and crusty bread and topped with a poached egg…How can you go wrong? I found this a long time ago in an old Food and Wine magazine and over the years I’ve made small changes to the recipe, adapting it to my kitchen. I am forever grateful to Ben Barker for the inspiration. My Italian friends are even amazed by this and that is quite a compliment!
On the surface it seems like a complicated recipe but really it’s easy to prepare all of the parts, even the poached egg, in advance, arrange it in a bowl, then ladle the hot broth over it to serve. It never fails to impress.
Summer Tomato and Bread Soup
This soup is so comforting to me. I vary the cheese according to my mood. I've given suggestions below. Pick one type of cheese or use all three - you can't go wrong.
- 1/2 pieces loaf of Crusty Italian Bread torn into 1” to 1/2 “
- 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Recipe Tomato Broth See link to the recipe below
- 1 ½ lbs Chopped Tomatoes: I use a mix of Heirloom Cherry, and Sungold
- 1 cup small Ball of Mozzarella cheese finely diced about ½
- 1 ½ Cup Shaved Asiago Pecorino Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese*
- leaves A handful of torn basil plus sprigs for garnish
- 6 Poached Eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl toss the bread and the olive oil together until the bread is coated. Spread on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through until golden. Set aside to cool.
Heat the Tomato Broth and keep warm. Poach the eggs and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. If you fry the egg it’s best to do it just before serving.
Just before serving evenly divide the toasted bread, tomatoes, 1 Cup of cheese(s), and basil in the bottom of 6 soup bowls. Ladle the hot broth over, top with the poached or fried egg, garnish with the basil sprigs and serve.
Recipe NotesCLICK HERE for the recipe Tomato Broth
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement