This has been one really hot summer. I keep waiting for the weather to break but alas, there has been no respite. Taking matters into my own hands I dreamed up this Summer Sangria that keeps us cool and refreshed during the hottest of days.
In May of this year I attended the Food and Wine Conference in conjunction with the Sunday Supper Movement and had the privilege of meeting Janice Mondavi of CK Mondavi Vineyards. Janice introduced us to the CK Mondavi wines that they produce. Among them are the wines perfect for summer: Sauvignon Blanc, Blonde Five and Moscato.
I was very happy to find out that these wines are available in Maryland, even with the notoriously harsh liquor laws in the state. One thing I quickly found out was that it was too hot this summer to serve the wine on it’s own so I developed this Summer Sangria that has been a much requested favorite of the season.
We entertain often. Living on the Chesapeake Bay boating is an activity we indulge in every weekend along with summer picnics or parties in our outdoor kitchen in the backyard. In this heat it’s important to stay hydrated and I’ve found everyone is grateful if the alcohol is cut with something flavorful and refreshing. This sangria and its variations have carried us throughout the summer. In the late spring and early summer I added Strawberries and an assortment seasonal fruit. Now that the stone fruits are in full swing a mix of peaches, nectarines, plumbs and cherries are a welcome addition. I fully intend to carry this trough the early fall with apples and pears and maybe changing the liquor mix to pear vodka.
This sangria has been a game changer for us. I can mix up a pitcher, early in the day and add the sparkling water just before serving. It’s cool, refreshing, civilized and gorgeous in the glass!
- 1 Bottle of CK Mondavi Moscato, Blonde Five or Sauvignon Blanc
- ⅓ Cup of Fruitlab Hibiscus Organic Liquor*
- ⅓ Cup of Limoncello
- ⅓ Cup of Maraschino Cherry Syrup from a jar of Maraschino Cherries
- 1 750 ml Bottle of Sparkling Water or Club Soda
- Assorted seasonal fruit such as: sliced peaches (peeled), nectarines, apricots and plumbs, fresh cherries and/or maraschino cherries from the jar of syrup.
- Pour the wine into a large pitcher or jar then add the Hibiscus liquor, Limoncello, and the Maraschino cherry syrup and stir to mix. Add the prepared fruit and refrigerate until cold.
- Just before the sangria is served add the sparkling water and stir to mix. Pour into wine glasses over ice (if desired) adding the marinated fruit to garnish.
Don’t forget to look for CK Mondavi reds when the weather turns cooler. As you can from this dinner from last year we have been enjoying them for a while. It adds a special meaning now that I have met Janice and now have a proper introduction to the CK Mondavi Vineyards collection!