I was so excited by the theme of this Weeks Sunday Supper and my Shrimp Avgolemono. I live in a neighborhood that is populated by Greek immigrants. They have put their stamp of approval on this recipe. I do hope they are really like it, they’re old school, coming from the Greek Isles and landing in Annapolis.
We are so fortunate to have the greek culture so close to us. My greek neighbors are so wonderful. They keep me straight on my garden, they help me with my fig tree and when it freezes they plant a new one. You never know when they will stop by with plates of dolmades, spanakopita, moussaka, pastitsio, etc. I’m so grateful for their knowledge and they get so excited when I try to learn about their culture. In most cases I have a hard time saying their names, so I just give them a hug.
They make the best soup and the Avgolemono is the one I’m featuring here today. Maria has taught me a few variations – like to add pureed or grated tomato, turning it a rosy pink. Her Avgolemono is always made with chicken – I’ve never seen this variation come out of her kitchen. I’ve taken it on myself to create this version and it is a favorite in our household.
- 1 Pound of Shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 8 Cups (2 Quarts) of Chicken Stock, Fish Fumet or a mix of the two
- ⅔ Cup of Arborio Rice, brown Rice, barley or Farro
- 1.2 Cup of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Bunch of Spinach, washed, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Fresh Dill, chopped fine plus more for garnish
- Sea Salt and freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- Bring the Stock to a boil in a 5 quart saucepan or Dutch Oven over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to low until the liquid is simmering. Add the shrimp and simmer until the shrimp is pink and barely cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the broth with a slotted spoon into a bowl and set aside to cool. Keep the broth at a simmer and add the rice (or grain of choice). Simmer the rice until done, 20 minutes for white rice, longer for brown rice, barley or faro.
- Meanwhile, select 4 – 12 whole shrimp to garnish the soup and set aside. Slice the remaining shrimp on a bias; you should have about 2 cups +/-.
- In a small bowl, beat the lemon juice and eggs together. Pout 2 cups of broth slowly into the bowl, whisking continuously. Once the broth and egg are incorporated, slowly pour the mixture into the pot of rice, whisking it to blend well.
- Add the shrimp, spinach and dill to the pot and stir to blend. Simmer 1 – 2 minutes, stirring constantly to wilt the spinach. Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional dill, if needed. Serve immediately in warmed bowls garnished with the reserved shrimp and dill sprigs.
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Kalamata Phyllo Cigars with Whipped Feta by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyro Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies – Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades – Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement