Steve looked at me a but funny when I proposed this Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction but being the grill master he stepped up to the challenge. It turned out to be such a hit he took all the credit and now it’s one of his signature dishes! I hope you like it as much as we do.This recipe is inspired by one of my culinary heroes, Alice Waters. I spied her version in the Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook and adapted it to work in my outdoor kitchen. The recipe calls for flattening the duck and grilling it over charcoal. We have a gas grill so I have to be creative. To infuse flavor I use the rotisserie for the duck over an old cookie sheet filled with fresh herbs. How can you go wrong?
- 1 fresh Duck, about 5 lbs., cleaned and patted dry
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 20 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine
- A bunch of fresh herb sprigs: thyme, marjoram, rosemary and parsley or your preference
- 2 Cups of Red or White Wine*
- Caramelized Onions for serving
- Unwrap the duck and make sure the cavity is clean and patted dry. Take a fork or the point of a knife and prick it all over at least 50 times.
- Place the carrots, onions, crushed peppercorns, bay leaves, salt and red wine in a 5 quart pan and heat to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer together for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat; add half of the herbs and cool to room temperature.
- Place the duck in a 2 gallon lock bag and pour the cooled marinade over it. Place it in a roasting pan and refrigerate for 12 -24 hours, turning the duck occasionally. Set the duck and it's marinade at room temperature for one hour before grilling. Drain the marinade and separate the solids and bring the liquid to a boil over medium heat, simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced by half. Reserve one cup of the red wine reduction for serving.
- Heat the grill. Skewer the duck onto the rod and set it per the grills instructions. Line a cookie sheet with heavy duty foil and place it under the duck, the fill it with the remaining herbs, then pour in the 2 cups of wine. Baste the duck as it turns on the rotisserie with the reduced marinade for 30 - 35 minutes until a thermometer reads 125 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. Remove the duck from the rotisserie and cover with foil. Let it rest for 30 minutes and carve onto a serving platter.
- Heat the reserved red wine reduction and serve with the grilled duck and the caramelized onions.
Thanks to Sue Lau from A Palatable Pastime for hosting this event!
Celebrate the grilling season with all of the #SundaySupper favorites:
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement