Today our Sunday Supper Family is focused on lean meats. My husband, Steve, loves a good steak but what makes the steak great? It’s the fat. When I prepare a lean steak I make sure to serve it with a sauce that pops, like chimichurri. This adds the flavor with a healthy fat, olive oil. CLICK HERE for the recipe for Chimichurri Sauce
Thanks to Sarah from Chef Next Door for hosting this event!
Now that the New Year is here I’m focused on being healthy and that means eating less fat. Steak is an excellent source of protein; according to my trainers lean steak makes an excellent breakfast. I’ve not gotten to that point – yet. No matter, I’ll enjoy this for dinner then have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch, this makes a wonderful meal.
- 1 ½ Lbs. Flank Steak*
- 1 recipe Chimichurri
- Salt and Pepper
- Pat steak dry, season liberally with salt and pepper. Place the steak in place in a large, resalable plastic bag. Add 1 cup of the chimichurri sauce, seal bag and refrigerate the steak for at least 2 and up to 8 hours. Cover the remaining chimichurri sauce at room temperature. Bring Steak to room temperature at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Remove the steak from the bag and brush off any excess marinade. Place the steak on a broiler pan and broil 4” from heat 5-7 minutes per side for medium rare (watch the steak closely, the steak should be well browned but not burnt). Place the steak on a cutting board, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Holding a knife at a 45-degree angle, thinly slice steak. Serve with the remaining chimichurri sauce.
** Feel free to grill the steak if desired. Place the steak on a hot grill. Cook for 6 -7 minutes then flip the steak, rotating 45 degrees, and cook another 6 - 7 minutes. Turn the steak over and continue to cook until the steak is done to your liking.
Here’s to a lean and healthy New Year and to the Sunday Supper tastemakers who have shared all of their lean beef recipes in this event!
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spaghetti and Meatball Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Thai Steak Salad with Noodles by Positively Stacey
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Shepherd’s Pie by Simple and Savory
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Pepper Beef with Broccoli and Noodles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Sriracha Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Family Foodie
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Eggs Wraps by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.