We call this the “Devil’s Chicken” because the men in my life like it really hot. I tend to prefer to taste my food so when I make this my mustard/spice rub is toned down a bit. I put mine on the breast (they like the dark meat) or the white meat then I add the other 1/2 teaspoon of the chipotle to the sauce and coat the legs, wings and thighs. That way everyone is happy.
I like to serve this dish straight from the cast iron skillet family style but if you want, then by all means, plate it. The chicken is beautiful with the crust, the sauce and a deep green vegetable like broccolini or green beans to accent it. The sauce is fantastic sopped up with crusty bread. It’s equally delicious spooned over roasted potatoes or white rice.There are endless ways to prepare this. For an easy weeknight meal I like to use the chicken pieces that have already been cut up but it is spectacular with a whole chicken or one that has been spatchcocked (it will need an increased cooking time so plan accordingly). It’s wonderful any way you choose.
Thanks to Sarah of The Chef Next Door for hosting this event. You’re the best!!!!
- 1 Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- ¼ Cup of Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ - 1 Teaspoon of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, chopped very fine
- 2 Tablespoons of Chopped Fresh Herbs: Thyme, oregano, and sage
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Cup of White Wine, Vermouth or Chicken Stock
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Heat a 12” cast iron skillet on the stovetop over medium high heat. Drizzle the chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rub it all over the skin, season with salt and pepper, arrange the chicken in the hot skillet and transfer to the oven. Roast the chicken in the oven for 7 – 10 minutes until the skin begins to brown.
- Meanwhile mix the mustard, red pepper, ½ teaspoon f the chipotle and the chopped herbs in a small bowl, taste and season with salt, pepper and the remaining chipotle, if desired. Remove the skillet from the over and slather the chicken skin with the mustard mixture, drizzle with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil and gently pour the white wine into the pan, without disturbing the crust on the chicken. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees and return the pan to the oven for 10-12 minutes until the chicken is done and the coating is a crispy brown. Remove the pan form the oven, let cool for 10 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken serve directly from the cast iron skillet, if desired.
- This is fantastic with some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
Do you like spice? Here are all of the spicy recipes from the talented bloggers in this SundaySupper Event:
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cajun Shrimp Dip byCooking with Carlee
- Harissa Lamb Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Hungry Goddess
- Jalapeno Cheddar Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoky Jalapeno Pineapple Salsa by Dash of Evans
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Meatballs by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Spicy Peach Chicken Wings by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Spicy Sugared Cashews by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Peanut Butter Cookies by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Cinnamon Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Pies and Plots
- Peppercorn Shortbread by The Finer Cookie
- Spicy Fudge Brownies by The Chef Next Door
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken & Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Karahi (Pakistani Chicken Curry) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers by Feeding Big and more
- Chickpea, lentil and spinach curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Ddukboki (Spicy Stir Fried Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Devil’s Chicken by Monica’s Table
- East Indian Chard and Lentils by Wholistic Woman
- Fried Chicken with a Kick by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops by Cooking Chat
- Hella-peno Burger by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza by Hardly A Goddess
- Kung Pao Chicken by Palatable Pastime
- Lomo Saltado by Tramplingrose
- Spicy black bean burgers by Simple and Savory
- Spicy Penne all’arrabbiata by She Loves Biscotti
- Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sweet Chili Pork by Cookin’ Mimi
- Tunisian Garlic Chickpea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Baked Sriracha Sweet Potato Fries by Magnolia Days
- Green Mango Sambal by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Potato Salad with Spicy Picada Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Plus Homemade Ginger Ale and Spice is Nice Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.